In August, 2017, with the start of the new school year, ten school locations in the southern peninsula will begin with new school start and end times. This change is taking place to accommodate a switch from single-tier to double-tier bus transportation, which is already in effect for other schools throughout the KPBSD. No changes will take place in the 2016-2017 school year.
New School Times beginning August 22, 2017:
Important transportation clarifications taking effect with the change to two-tier busing in the southern peninsula include:
- KPBSD transportation routing will only be from home-to-school, and school-to-home.
- Some situations in which out-of-area transportation is provided for students to attend a school outside their attendance area currently exist, and will not be available beginning with the 2017-2018 school year.
- Parents may continue to have a child attend an out of area school through the Out-of-Area Attendance Request process (see E 5116(a)) but KPBSD will no longer provide bus transportation if a bus serving another school was available.
- Bus routing and schedules will be updated in the summer of 2017, and available on the KPBSD website, at the same time as districtwide school routes are posted.
A series of community meetings took place throughout 2016, with parents, KPBSD staff, students, and community members in attendance. School administrators met, and worked together to create the new school start and end times. If you have questions about specific schools, please contact the school principal with your questions.
Southern Peninsula principals continue to meet together and work with community service providers to discuss after school childcare, recreation, and structured activity options to accommodate family needs for the 2017-2018 school year.
Changes will take place at southern peninsula schools served by bus transportation and include:
Homer Flex School
Homer High School
Homer Middle School
McNeil Canyon Elementary
Paul Banks Elementary
West Homer Elementary
- October 12, 2016: Southern peninsula school start and end time options
- September 14, 2016: Southern Peninsula community meetings – school start and end time changes
- July 27, 2016: KPBSD Board of Education, Approval of Apple Bus Contract
- May 5, 2016: Southern Peninsula Bus and School Time Meetings
If you have questions about specific schools, please contact the school principal with your questions.