Community schools, sports and activities, and effective class sizes are critical to continue successful outcomes for K-12 schools on the Kenai Peninsula. In February, the Governor proposed a budget substitute for the 2019-2020 school year that will result in a cut of $22.4 million from KPBSD schools.
However, the Governor and state legislators want to hear from you about that proposed budget before it is set in stone. Therefore, now is the time to join the conversation and contribute to positive outcomes for our young people through these opportunities to speak up about what you value in schools and education funding:
Saturday, March 23, 2019
- 5:30 – 8:30 PM: Soldotna Regional Sports Complex. House Finance Committee Community Budget Meeting, public testimony encouraged.*
Monday, March 25, 2019
- 4:00 – 5:00 PM: The Birds Eye View weekly KSRM 920 AM radio show, guest Governor Michael J. Dunleavy. Call in number: 907-283-5811, listen live online
- 6:00 – 8:00 PM: The Cannery Lodge, Kenai. Statewide Discussion for a Permanent Fiscal Plan with Governor Dunleavy and team. Event is full, wait list only.*
“One thing is clear, in order to be successful, we must have the engagement and support of the Alaskan people.”
– Governor Michael J. Dunleavy
“Cuts and efficiencies are possible and necessary, but these proposed reductions would have significant impacts on elders and youth, rural and urban residents, and every facet of our economy. Because of this stark reality, all budget decisions must be informed by input from people across our state.”
– House Speaker Bryce Edgmon
*KDLL 91.9 FM public radio will stream these events live.
District administration, principals, and the Board of Education identified cuts that will be necessary if the Governor’s proposed budget is adopted. This list is $5 million shy of the proposed $22.4 million cut.
- Informational PDF printable flyer: Kenai Peninsula Borough School District $22.4 million in cuts to KPBSD options identified by administrators and school board
- Informational PDF printable flyer: Kenai Peninsula state legislators and their KPBSD schools
- The Alaska State Legislature website
- Office of the Governor of Alaska website
- Kenai Peninsula Borough Assembly webpage
- KPBSD Finance webpage
- The Legislature and KPBSD