Dear KPBSD parents and guardians,
I am writing to let you know that beginning Tuesday, September 17, 2019*, all 42 schools in the Kenai Peninsula Borough School District will be closed until a Tentative Agreement is reached between the school district and the Kenai Peninsula Education Association (KPEA) and the Kenai Peninsula Education Support Association (KPESA).
I want you to know that the school district bargaining team will continue to work with KPEA and KPESA to reach a Tentative Agreement that would end this strike.
You will receive daily updates through your contact information in PowerSchool.
It is important for you to know these things now:
On Monday, September 16, 2019, all KPBSD schools will be open on a normal schedule.
- Make sure that your child takes home any personal belongings, and that you pick up any medications from the school nurse.
- Make any updates to your contact information in PowerSchool with the school secretary, and make sure to opt-in to receive text messages from KPBSD. Simply text “Yes” or “Y” to 67587 to receive text messages to your PowerSchool mobile contact.
Beginning Tuesday, September 17, 2019, all KPBSD schools will be closed during the strike and emergency schools closure.
The duration of the emergency schools closure is unknown, and you will receive daily updates and progress, starting with this message, until the work stoppage ends.
The school district is very aware that this is a challenging and difficult time for everyone, especially our families. The district values all our teachers and support staff, and is working intently to create a solution to bring these negotiations to a closure and return to our primary mission to educate your child.
- Read: What will happen if there is a strike in the KPBSD?
- Read: SMS text messaging FAQs through PowerSchool or employee contact
- School District Collective Bargaining webpage
*The KPEA and KPESA association presidents sent an email to the superintendent of schools the evening of September 13, 2019 giving 72 hours’ notice about a work stoppage beginning September 17, 2019. Read the email letter.