Soldotna, September 22, 2015—The Kenai Peninsula Borough School District (KPBSD) was unable to reach a tentative agreement with Kenai Peninsula Education Association (KPEA) and Kenai Peninsula Education Support Association (KPESA) through the mediation process, which took place September 21 – 22, 2015.
A meditator from the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service (FMCS) met with all three parties and exercised shuttle diplomacy between the groups, which in essence means conveying questions, supposals, and information seeking to find areas of compromise. Everything that took place during mediation remains confidential, and mediation was closed to the public.
The KPBSD bargaining team is analyzing and reviewing what transpired in the mediation process.
Unless all parties agree to return to face-to-face negotiations, the next step in the collective bargaining process is advisory arbitration.
KPBSD employees continue to work under contracts which expired June 30, 2015. When the new fiscal year began on July 1, 2015, all eligible employees did receive salary and wage movement on the predetermined salary and wage schedules.
- School District Collective Bargaining 2015
- Collective Bargaining Agreements for 2012-2013 through 2014-2015
- September 22, 2015 News Release: Mediation Concludes
- This and all KPBSD media releases are online at this web page: http://bit.ly/MediaPublicRelationships
- Suggest or contribute a story online link: http://bit.ly/SuggestKPBSDstory