Soldotna, October 12, 2016—Changes to school start and end times will begin in August, 2017, and in order to inform and gather input, three southern peninsula community meetings will take place in November. The same content will be presented at each meeting. Parents, KPBSD staff, students, and community members are invited and encouraged to attend a community meeting of their choosing:
Tuesday, November 1, 2016, 6:00 PM, Ninilchik School
Wednesday, November 2, 2016, 6:00 PM, Homer High School
Thursday, November 10, 6:00 PM, Chapman School, Anchor Point
Following community meetings and feedback from community members, on Tuesday, October 4, 2016, school principals met with district administration and staff to develop three options for new school start and end times in the southern peninsula. The preferred option from all school administrators is “X”. However, two additional options were also developed. Option “Y” adds ten minutes to start and end times, and option “Z” is most problematic, swaps the start times, and tiers schools without like needs.
- The transportation department analyzed X, Y, and Z options, and transportation routes for X and Y are viable.
- School administrators will share the three options with site councils, and gather input.
- November community meetings will be an excellent time for a shared conversation and discussion.
- Principals will evaluate input and make final recommendations to district administration.
- KPBSD transportation will make certain bus transportation for the chosen option is viable.
- The district anticipates completion and a final decision before winter break so that parents and communities can begin to plan for the changes that will start in August, 2017.
Parents, staff, and community members are encouraged to attend a community meeting in November.
To offer suggestions, questions, or thoughts, please use this online public comment link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/SouthernPeninsulaSchoolTimes
Kenai Peninsula Borough School District
Contact: Pegge Erkeneff, 907.714.8888