On May 2, 2015, twenty six “Mountain View Minions” participated in the Walk and Roll for Hope. This event, the 46th annual, takes place in communities throughout Alaska to raise funds for and awareness about disability services available for Alaskans.
As a large, open enrollment, neighborhood school Mountain View Elementary is fortunate to be able to provide services to students with a wide range of disabilities. By forming a team to participate in this event the Mountain View family was able to show our support for those students as well as the people who work with them, both within our school and elsewhere.
The Mountain View Elementary team included staff participating with their children, grandchildren and parents as well as students participating with their families. With a little inspiration from Disney and artistic help from Pinterest a group of staff members made customized Minion shirts for the team. Wearing bright yellow, googley eyed, and smiley faced tee shirts the team was hard to miss and certainly did its best to add to the festive nature of the event. The “Mountain View Minions” raised $900 to support Hope Community Services, the most raised by any team participating in the event.
The Mountain View Elementary staff has a strong sense of community service that it hopes to impart on its students as well. Other ways they have served the Kenai neighborhood this year include:
- Staff members setting up a booth at Industry Appreciation Days where they helped close to 200 local children make individualized, hand printed, eagle art work
- The after school choir singing patriotic songs at an evening veterans day celebration
- The student council, working with Hilcorp Alaska, serving Thanksgiving Dinner at the Kenai Senior Center
- Staff members coordinating a Christmas drive that provided dinner and gifts for over 100 local families
- The 2nd grade singing Christmas carols at a variety of local businesses
- The kindergarten promoting a Pennies for Pets campaign that raised $500 for the Kenai Animal Shelter
- Student families maintaining a city of Kenai flower bed over the summer
Mountain View Elementary is Kenai’s “Neighborhood School” and its students and staff strive to live up to that moniker. Look for their students and staff at a community service event near you.