From Kenai Peninsula Borough Office of Emergency Management:
The map indicates the evacuation perimeter for affected Sterling and Funny River subdivisions. The map will be updated as information changes and is available at www.kpb.us and www.facebook.com/kenai.peninsula.borough
CURRENT EVACUATION AREA | June 16, 2015, 12:30 p.m.
- Sterling area includes subdivisions from Card Street EAST to Kenai National Refuge boundary at Sterling Hwy. mile 76 and SOUTH to the Kenai River. This still includes Feuding Lane and Kenai Keyes.
- Funny River area includes subdivisions off the end of Salmon Run Drive to the end of Fisherman’s Road and Dow Island residents.
- Printable PDF: Evacuation Areas June 16, 2015, 12:30 p.m.
Please stay away from the evacuation areas and use caution when driving through smoke or passing fire apparatus. Do not attempt to return to evacuated areas. Updates will be provided to all local radio stations, Rapid Notify and KPB Facebook page when evacuations are lifted.
- Alaska Interagency Incident Management Team fire mapping tool to track fire activity
- Register your cell phone (KPB residents) to receive emergency notifications with Rapid Notify
- Wildfire evacuation preparation information: http://www.ready.gov/wildfires
- Fire updates: akfireinfo.com or facebook.com/AK.Forestry
- Kenai Peninsula Borough Office of Emergency Management (OEM) call center information: 907-714-2495
The Kenai Peninsula Borough provided this Alaska Forestry update:
- Approximately 1500 acres have burned. Three helicopters and three fixed wing aircraft and 50 crew are assigned to the fire. Air attack and retardant will resume this morning. Five hot shot crews are arriving late afternoon today and the Type 2 team is expected tomorrow.
- Six structures are confirmed lost, and Forestry is currently conducting structural, damage assessments. The borough will work with the assessing department to confirm addresses and contact home owners directly just as soon as we receive the information.
- Once the Type 2 team is operational, perimeter mapping will be provided. Until that time, the Alaska Interagency Incident Management Team has a mapping tool that tracks fire activity at http://afsmaps.blm.gov/imf_fire/imf.jsp?site=fire
The borough will continue to provide resources and support as requested.
Helpful Facebook links:
- Alaska DNR- Division of Forestry (DOF)
- Alaska Interagency Incident Management Team
- Central Emergency Services
- Homer Electric Association, Inc
- Kenai Peninsula Borough
- Kenai Peninsula Borough School District